Robert Rowand Anderson, one of the greatest architects of the Victorian era, was commissioned in 1872 by the ‘apostles’ or governors of the Catholic Apostolic Church, to erect a new building suitable for their form of worship.
The Church had outgrown their smaller, neo-classical building on the west side of Broughton Street. The building was completed by 1885 in a neo-Romanesque style. The vast barrel-vaulted nave has no aisles, allowing the congregation an uninterrupted view of the elaborate and colourful ritual of the Catholic Apostolic services.
Built on a sloping site, spacious rooms and offices were provided below street level. This has enabled the building to be adapted for its present use as the headquarters of the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations.